Verizon recently announced its 4G LTE USB Modem 551L for users who want to take advantage of 4G network on the move. The modem is 3G compatible and Verizon claims that the 4G speeds are 10x faster than 3G.
This modem is manufactured by Novatel. The modem has a sleek and curvy plastic body with a fold out USB connector. This light weight modem weighs merely 1.23 oz and is easy to carry around. There is a 4 color LED indicator on the modem which indicates the service status.
The modem supports Windows (XP / Vista / 7), Mac OS X (v10.4 and above) as well as Linux OS. The advanced antenna design of the modem offers optimum performance. Tests show that the typical download speed is anywhere between 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps and upload speed is between 2 Mbps to 5 Mbps. The high speed of the modem also allows you to stream HD videos from Verizon Wireless Media Store, enjoy smooth multiplayer gaming and navigation services.
The modem is available at Verizon for $249.99 with a month to month service or $169.99 with a 1-year contract or $99.99 with a 2-year contract.
Following accessories are included with the modem:
- VZAccess Manager (On CD including User Guides)
- USB Extension Cable
- Lanyard (No Warranty)
- Quick Reference Guide
- Product Safety & Warranty Guide
- Important Consumer Information Brochure
- Radio Frequency Brochure
- Technology bands – CDMA 1xEV–DO Rev. A/Rev. 0: 800/1900 MHz, 4G LTE (700MHz)
- Chipset – MDM9600
- Dimensions: 3.46”(H) x 1.38”(W) x 0.47”(D)
- Weight: 1.23 oz.
- SAR: 1.50 W/kg – Body
- 4G SIM Card compatible
- Dial–Up – Not Supported
- GPS – Not Supported at launch
- Supported OS – Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 7; Mac OS X 10.4 or higher; Linux OS
- System requirements – One Type A USB Port, Processor speed 166 MHz or higher, CD-ROM drive, 128MB RAM, 100MB free space on HDD, Internet Browser