Verizon recently launched its 4G LTE wireless network and offers two 4G LTE USB modems for the notebook users. LG’s VL600 is one of them.
The LG VL600 comes in a sleek black sturdy plastic body and weighs a mere 1.76 oz. A closer look at the modem reveals the USB connector covered by a black cap that is non-detachable. You just need to flip the cap sideways and connect the modem to your notebook.
Also included with the modem are a USB extension cable and a holster. You can use the USB extension cable and holster if you want to place the 4G USB modem in a specific direction in which you feel that you get the best reception.
The VL600 comes has a single SIM slot under its cover and supports both 3G and 4G SIM cards. The modem connects to a 4G when it’s available, if not; it automatically falls back to the 3G network.
We installed the Verizon VZAccess Manager software from the CD that came with the modem and plugged it in. The LED status on the modem quickly changed from blinking orange to blinking green and we were connected to the internet. We were amazed by the speeds which we got with this modem. We downloaded an ISO image of Ubuntu Linux 10.10 x86 which was 693 MB in size. The download completed in just in 8 minutes! While travelling, the download speed has been reported to vary in between 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps. The device tends to get a little warm after some time, which is to be expected due to high speeds supported by the device. The device is 2-way text message capable and also supports Dial Up, VPN and NDIS/LAN Adapter.
The device costs you $249.99 with a month to month service plan, $169.99 with a 1 year contract, or $99.99 with a 2-year contract. Monthly data allowance plans give you options of $50 per month for 5 GB data allowance or $80 for 10 GB data allowance. Per GB rate after you run out of allowance is $10 per GB.
Here are the full technical specifications for the device:
- Manufacturer: LG
- Model: VL600 LTE USB Modem
- Size: 3.88″ (H) x 1.48″ (W) x 0.58″ (D)
- Weight: 1.76 oz
- Connector: USB 2.0
- Antenna System: CDMA dual band DCN 800 MHz, PCS 1.9 GHz; LTE Band 13 700 MHz; MIMO: CDMA EVDO
- Receive Diversity LTE MIMO 2×2
- Technology Bands: CDMA 1xEV–DO Rev. A/Rev. 0: 800/1900 MHz, LTE CDMA (700MHz)
- Memory / Chipset: QC MSM6800A and LG L2000
Minimum system requirements are:
- Port: One Type A USB Port
- Processor: 300 MHz or higher
- Disk Drive: CD ROM
- Memory (RAM) requirement: 128MB
- Hard disk space requirement: 100MB
- Internet Browser Software
- OS Supported: Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit), Vista (32 & 64 bit) and XP (32 bit SP2 or higher)